"Independent of others and in concert with others, your main task in life is to do what you can best do and become what you can potentially be." - Enrch Fromm

Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Internet Kiosk 15 Minute Limit...

Who would have thought that I would be typing on a kiosk in a family surgery waiting room, around a whole bunch of beautiful strangers looking out on the East River. This view is far from the one of Emanual Hospital in Portland, Oregon, but the view inside is all too familiar. The white walls, average pieces of art hanging on the walls, and vending machines tucked in the corner behind the roll away beds that stand in the halls...

It is no wonder most of the hospitals in New York are on the East River - it is so soothing to watch the peaceful yet violent current of the river below as I await to enter into a comatose state in surgery. I now understand the reason the late Stephen Hensor spoke of watching water so dearly in his battle with cancer.

I sit with about twenty others, some patients, most family members at six AM on Wednesday morning, trying to stay awake as the day's sun crests the apartment buildings of the bourogh of Queens across the river. You have the older typical cynical and "at each other's throats" Manhattan couple bickering even as the husband is entering the hospital. His entry reason, I do not know, but it makes me wonder if their strained relations this morning are a function of their marriage or if this surgery is one which they do not know the outcome and therefore both are on edge. The funny thing is that I believe if in Oregon, the same situational couple would be nice and loving toward one another...or maybe I am just partial.

May the Lord bless me and keep me during my surgery - and may it not rain today.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good afternoon & Congradulations!Your mom gave us a ring this morning letting us know that the frame was coming off WOO_HOO! We hope N.Y. is everthing you dreamed of plus! take care and we'll be thinking of you and tell Dr. Beaman of your blog! KP and Cam

12:40 PM

 
Blogger cdubber said...

KP and Cam,
Hello! Well, thank you for the post, yes, it is 1 AM and I can't sleep...think I'll take an oxycodone and forget that I ate way too many cookies today! Surgery went well...but I have a cast on, and it is bled through pretty bad - should I worry? Thanks for the love and support!

1:04 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home