"Independent of others and in concert with others, your main task in life is to do what you can best do and become what you can potentially be." - Enrch Fromm

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Soweto & Brazil/N. Korea (DAY 1)

Full Day Numero Uno was full, full, full.

The day began with trying to figure out how to somehow rent and/or buy a phone for my time in SA...I thought for sure that there would be a phone store in the Casino mall, but all I found open was a little coffee shop. So I sat and enjoyed poached eggs and toast with some tea while reading the local newspaper. All of this I did on about 2 or so hours of sleep due to the jetlag, and then met my new tour guide Jennifer.

Jennifer took me to Soweto - the most famous township in the world. It was truly amazing to see the various areas of the township - from the tin huts, to Nelson Mandela's home (which is now a museum). Soweto is central to the ANC and fight against apartheid - so there are many historic sites and stories.

Then I came back to the hotel, collected myself and before heading to the Brazil/N.Korea game. My buddy Mary Scott from Matter-Edelman hooked me up with her Goal1 representative in SA, Lindsey Earl...long story short - she is dope. We had a blast at the game (even though we were freezing). There have been some crapy translation issues here...for example the bus that was supposed to pick us up for the game didn't show...! At this point I am not surprised because as Lindsey pointed out - THIS IS AFRICA. So...from now on, no expectations, just a fabulous new acronym: TIA.

Tomorrow is the Game Reserve...and hopefully the day when my body will finally get used to the time change...Steven gets here tomorrow - looking forward to the USA game!!!! Two more days...

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

courtney: I love reading the scoop from one who is there!! I have vuvuzela fever, trying to watch every game.
Wear those earplugs, girl!! Ole ole ole ole
Hilary Gilmore

9:05 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home